BEGINNING MAY 1, 2020
All Adoptions will be Handled on an Appointment only Basis
- Visit our adoptable dog and cat pages to learn more information about animals up for adoption.
- If you are interested in meeting an animal:
- Complete an adoption application. You must save the completed application to your computer before you email it.
- Once your application is approved, an adoption counselor will contact you. During this call, you will be asked if you are sick or exhibiting symptoms, among other questions. If you are ill, we will not be able to adopt to you at this time.
- By accepting your appointment at the shelter, you are stating that you are feeling well and don't have any COVID-19 symptoms like chills, new cough, sore throat, shortness of breath or muscle aches.
- You have not been knowingly exposed to COVID-19.
- You agree to social distance (at least 6 feet) when possible while at the shelter.
- After this call we will schedule an in-person meet and greet with that pet. Please note that a submitted application does not place that pet on hold for you or guarantee that you will be able to meet that pet.
- For everyone’s safety, we ask that all family members wear a mask or face covering.
- No more than two people at a time can meet the pet. If you are bringing more than two people, others will be asked to wait outside the building.
- Each appointment is limited to one hour and meet and greets for dogs are done in an outside play area, weather permitting.
- Appointments are made for only one animal; no one may walk through the shelter to view all the animals as they would during normal circumstances.
- We will process adoption fees and paperwork as normal. Animals that are already spayed/neutered may be available to go home the same day.
Please make sure to bring a cat carrier if your adopting a cat or a leash if adopting a dog and please no retractable leashes.
* Please note that we do not do out of state adoptions. We only adopt animals out to people who live in the following counties: Cook, Dupage, Kane, Kendall, Lake, McHenry and Will.
As the global situation changes daily, we will continue to provide updates on our website and social media channels as they occur. Our updated procedures are designed for the safety of our staff, volunteers, visitors and the animals in our care.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this challenging time.