All Adoptions are Handled on an Appointment-only Basis
Guidelines to Adopt
Thank you for choosing adoption! Below is some information to guide you through our adoption process.
- West Suburban Humane Society strives to provide a stress-free environment for the animals in our care. For that reason, visitors are not allowed in the animal areas.
- You can view our adoptable dogs and cats on our website and learn more about the animals that up for adoption.
- If you are interested in meeting an animal or if you would like our staff to assist you with this process, complete an Adoption Application.
- Once your application is reviewed and approved, an adoption counselor will contact you to schedule an in-person meet and greet with the animal(s) you are interested in adopting. Please note that a submitted application does not place that pet on hold for you.
- If you decide to move forward with an adoption after the meet and greet, we will finalize the adoption and animals that are already spayed/neutered may be available to go home the same day. In some cases, there may be a 24-hour waiting period before finalizing or the animal may need to go home after spay/neuter surgery.
- Please make sure to bring a cat carrier if you are adopting a cat or a leash if adopting a dog and please no retractable leashes.
West Suburban Humane Society serves the counties of Boone, Cook, Dekalb, DuPage, Grundy, Kane, Kankakee, Kendall, Lake, Lake Cook, Indiana McHenry and Will. We do not adopt out of state.
We accept credit/debit cards as the preferred payment for the adoption fee. Cashier checks or cash are also accepted. No personal checks please.
You get a lot of bang for your buck with our adoption fees:
|Up to 1 year old||$150||Up to 1 year old||$350|
|1 year to 6 years old||$85||1 year up to 6 years old||$250|
|7 years and older||$35||7 years and older||$125|
Our Fees Cover All of This!
|For Cats:||For Dogs:|
|Spay or neuter surgery||Spay or neuter surgery|
|Microchip and registration||Microchip and registration|
|ID tag||Collar with ID tag|
|FVRCP vaccine||Flea preventative|
|Deworming||Heartworm check and preventative|
|Flea preventative||DALP-PV vaccine|
|Ear-mite check and treatment (if necessary)||Deworming|
|2F Test||Bordatella vaccine|
|Fecal and treatment (if necessary)||Fecal and treatment (if necessary)|
Some dogs even come with a free training session! And through our Adopt A Buddy Program, you can adopt any cat and/or kitten for the regular adoption fee and get a second cat/kitten for half of the regular fee. This offer is good for up to 6 months after the first adoption!
Thank you for considering adopting from the West Suburban Humane Society!
WSHS does its best to match adopters with the dog or cat that would be best suited to their family situation and lifestyle.